Brad Barrios was born in Tampa but raised in Naperville, Illinois. After graduating from the University of Illinois, he worked as a financial analyst for Motorola for two years. Brad returned to Florida to attend law school at the University of Florida. While in law school, Brad was recognized as one of the “final four” competitors on the Justice Campbell Thornal Moot Court Team. He and his partner were awarded “best team” after arguing before the Florida Supreme Court. Brad also earned the Book Award in Trial Practice.
Upon graduation, Brad joined the national law firm of Akerman Senterfitt, where he practiced for four years. In early 2011, he decided to join his former partners Pedro Bajo and Tony Cuva at Bajo | Cuva | Cohen | Turkel. Brad has significant experience representing clients in business disputes, including commercial contract and tort matters in state and federal court. Brad regularly litigates intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright and trade secret claims for both plaintiffs and defendants. He also practices before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. In addition, Brad has significant experience prosecuting and defending class action claims.
- University of Florida, J.D., 2006
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 2000
- Major: Finance
- Florida, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Awards and Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite 2018-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2019-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013-2018
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Director, Feature Florida Partnerships, a non-profit which attracts domestic and international motion picture projects to Florida and provides resources for aspiring Florida filmmakers and production companies.
- Member, Make it Tampa Bay, a group of entrepreneurs and business people who actively work with the Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corporation to recruit and enhance opportunities for young people in Tampa.
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association
- TIPS Leadership Academy, 2012
- Vice-Chair of Technology, Business Litigation and Trial Techniques Committees -Federal Bar Association -The Florida Bar
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section; Trial and Litigation Section
Notable Client Work
- Represented shareholders of government sponsored enterprise in lawsuit against big four accounting firm related to company audits and obtained confidential settlement.
- Represented client in private equity finder’s fee case and obtained seven-figure settlement.
- Represented small business owner in false advertising case and obtained $500,000 settlement.
- Obtained complete dismissal of contract case claiming more than $400,000 in damages.
- Collectarius Financial, LLC v. Statebridge Company, LLC, 2018 WL 807041 (M.D. Fla. Feb. 9, 2018)
- Collectarius Financial, LLC v. Statebridge Company, LLC, 2018 WL 1183383 (M.D. Fla. Mar. 7, 2018)
- Represented entertainment industry client against movie studio in false advertising case related to the promotion of the movie War Dogs – Incarcerated Entertainment, LLC v. Warner Bros. Pictures, Case No. 8:16-cv-1302-T-35AAS (M.D. Fla. 2017).
- Represented music industry client in trademark infringement and dilution lawsuit and obtained denial of motion for preliminary injunction.
- Represented health club company in trademark infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- You Fit, Inc. v. Pleasanton Fitness, LLC, 2013 WL 521784 (M.D. Fla. Feb. 11, 2013)
- You Fit, Inc. v. Pleasanton Fitness, LLC, 2012 WL 7050985 (M.D. Fla. Oct. 31, 2012)
- Represented restaurant in trade dress infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Vraiment Hospitality, LLC v. Binkowski, 2012 WL 1470309 (M.D. Fla. Apr. 27, 2012)
- Vraiment Hospitality, LLC v. Binkowski, 2012 WL 1493737 (M.D. Fla. Mar. 19, 2012)
- Represented client in trial involving claim for damages allegedly caused by stevedore.
- Meridian Bulk Carriers, Ltd. v. Kinder Morgan Bulk Terminals, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 62923 (M.D. Fla. July 22, 2009)
- Represented client in trial involving breach of fiduciary duty and valuation of limited liability company membership.
- Represented client in trial involving breach and specific performance of restaurant lease.
- Represented internet affiliate marketing company in multiple matters, including class action lawsuit alleging deceptive and unfair trade practices, CAN-SPAM lawsuits and non-compete and other contractual matters.
- Represented insurance company client in lawsuit against hospital and obtained summary judgment and award of attorneys’ fees in favor of client.