Bajo | Cuva | Cohen | Turkel’s Admiralty and Maritime practice group represents clients in a broad range of commercial matters including those relating to sophisticated charter parties, ship construction, yacht construction and purchases, maritime lien claims and foreclosures. In addition, our team handles traditional admiralty litigation pertaining to collision, personal injury, cargo damage, towing, pilotage and salvage cases. We attend to ship financing projects, representing banks, shipowners, long-term charterers and shipyards. Our experience includes representing maritime clients in federal and Florida state courts and before the Coast Guard and Board of Pilot Commissioners and other governmental agencies. We also serve our clients in arbitrations. Our admiralty team strives to provide the highest quality of professional representation available at competitive rates. We are dedicated to excellence in advocacy with unyielding consideration for our clients needs. Our team members have received numerous honors including a number one ranking nationally (outside of New York) from Chambers: USA, The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. Due to the around-the-clock nature of activities in the marine industry, our team is on call twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Anthony J. Cuva heads the firm’s Admiralty Law Practice Group and has been recognized by numerous peer review organizations as a leader. He is an adjunct professor at University of Florida Law School where he teaches Admiralty and Maritime Law. He is recognized by The Florida Bar as a Board-Certified Admiralty and Maritime Specialist, Chambers USA as a nationwide shipping and transportation litigation expert (outside of NY), Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers.
– Our maritime team has represented clients involved in significant collision cases including the 10 August 1993 Tampa Bay Oil Spill. We also represent clients in collisions and allisions cases that are not as newsworthy but every bit as important to us and the client we are serving.
– We represent clients in cases involving products liability cases both where the product damages itself typically resulting in warranty and negligent repair claims. Our product liability defense includes the representation of many marine propulsion system and engine manufacturers. We also represent various yacht manufacturers throughout the State of Florida. We represent Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine Inc., Florida Detroit Diesel-Allison, MTU Diesel, Inc., and many yacht and boat manufacturers. We strive to achieve a technical understanding of our clients products so we can better serve them in warranty claims and negligence claims.
We also represent clients in product liability claims where the product has resulted in personal injury to third parties. Our team has represented numerous yacht and boat manufacturers in claims arising from alleged product failures.
Oil Spill and Pollution Removal
– The Bajo | Cuva maritime team has represented vessel owners, operators and Coast Guard licensed individuals involved in oil spills. We have been actively involved in the response, negotiated penalty and fines imposed by both the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and Coast Guard and managed insurance coverage issues. Our goal is to minimize our clients downtime so that it can return to work while the legal administrative matters related to a spill are handled on its behalf.
Yacht Practice Group
– Our Yacht Practice Group handles a variety of legal matters relative to the yacht manufacturing, financing and banking industries.
– In conjunction with our firm’s product liabilities practice group we defend personal injuries relative to the boat and yacht manufacturing industries throughout the State of Florida.
– Our maritime team routinely handles maritime lien claims for providing services and supplies to yachts (or ships) such as repairs, bunkers, towage, stevedoring or insurance.
– Our team has been involved in hundreds of Rule C lien and foreclosure cases which often include the arrest of a vessel. We can efficiently handle a yacht foreclosure. We work closely with substitute custodians and yacht brokers to foreclose, oversee maintenance and sell the vessel for the mortgagee.
– Our maritime team represents marinas throughout the State of Florida. Our firm has tax specialist that can assist with the new constitutional amendments for marina exemptions. On a more routine basis, we enforce
maritime lien for providing wharfage, storage and dockage. We have drafted several marina storage or rental agreements. We boats that our dockage agreement has been written with the experience of having litigated most issues contained in agreement. We can also assist with non-judicial state sales remedies afforded to marinas by the Florida statutes.
Recreational Boating / Personal Injury
– Our maritime team has been involved in numerous cases involving personal injury resulting from boating accidents on both navigable and non-navigable waters. We are experienced with the general maritime law and Florida State laws governing such accidents and have experience trying such cases to verdict.
– Our maritime team has years of experience representing merchant mariners and pilots before the United States Coast Guard and Board of Pilot Commissioners on various licensing issues.
We are proud that our clients support us and will provide references upon request. We will also provide specific details about cases our team has handled. We look forward to serving you.