Pedro Bajo is a life-long resident of Tampa where he attended Jesuit High School. In 1984, Pedro captained the Jesuit basketball team to a State Championship, only the second State Championship team from Hillsborough County. After reaching the stark realization that the NBA was not actively seeking 5’9” Hispanic players, Pedro decided to attend Southern Methodist University where he graduated in 1988 with a double major in Accounting and Finance.
After taking a year to find himself while backpacking across the world, Pedro enrolled at the Florida State University College of Law and graduated in 1992 after serving as a member of the Law Review and as an intern for Florida Supreme Court Justice Major B. Harding.
In 1992, Pedro returned to Tampa to practice law with a local litigation boutique because he was drawn to the notion of working for a Tampa only firm specializing in trial work. One year later, that litigation boutique joined the national law firm of Akerman Senterfitt where Pedro practiced for 17 years, the last 10 of which he was a shareholder.
In 2010, Pedro responded to his calling to once again practice with a Tampa only litigation boutique and established Bajo Cuva with his partner, Tony Cuva. Shortly thereafter, Steve Cohen and Ken Turkel came aboard and the firm became known as Bajo | Cuva | Cohen | Turkel. The foregoing is this prologue; the epilogue is yet to be written.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 1992
- Judicial Intern for Florida Supreme Justice Major B. Harding
- Member of Law Review
- Southern Methodist University, B.B.A., 1988
- Major: Accounting and Finance
Awards and Recognition
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by Governor Jeb Bush to serve on the Thirteenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Committee 2006-2010; Chairman 2009-2010
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, President 2011-2012; Outstanding Lawyer 2001
- ABA – Section of Litigation, one of five lawyers nationally selected for Litigation Leadership Fellowship
- ABA – Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, one of five lawyers nationally selected for TIPS Leadership Fellowship; one of select few national lawyers chosen for TIPS – Leadership Academy
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2016
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2007-2008, 2010-2016
- Florida, 1992
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- President, 2011-2012
- Board of Directors, 1999-2000, 2004-2012
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Directors, 1993-2000
- Young Lawyers Division President, 1999-2000
- Hillsborough County Bar Foundation Board, 1999-2000, 2011-2012
- Professional Development Committee Chair, 1994-1996
- Youth Projects Committee Chair, 1996-1998
- Law Week Committee Chair, 1997
- The Florida Bar
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors, 1998-2001
- Awards Committee Chair, 2001
- Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, 1999-2002
- Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Award Committee, 1999-2002
- American Bar Association
- State of Florida Representative to the Young Lawyers Division
- Member of Executive Council, 1998-2000
- National Meetings Coordinator for Young Lawyers Division, 2000
- Florida Disaster Relief Chair, 1998-2000
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section – Vice-Chair, Trial Techniques Committee (2008-2014); Vice-Chair, Membership Committee (2007-2010)
Notable Client Work
- Represent publicly traded utility company (electric and gas) in litigation matters covering a broad range of areas including commercial litigation, personal injury and wrongful death, products liability, premises liability, intellectual property, construction and admiralty and maritime.
- Defend claim for toxic tort exposure alleging over $150 million in damages.
- Defend claim for traumatic brain injury when sailboat mast contacted overhead power line.
- Defend wrongful death claim as result of power plant explosion.
- Defend Class Action and Personal Injury Claims arising from natural gas pipeline explosion which eliminated service through Southwest Florida.
- Defend claim for catastrophic personal injuries on power plant property allegedly sustained when defective crane part failed.
- Defend wrongful death claim at dairy farm when claimant came in contact with overhead power lines.
- Defend several fire loss claims due to alleged electrical system malfunctions including $40 million loss of apartment complex.
- Defend several overhead and underground electrical contact claims.
- Defend claims for damage to power plant turbines allegedly caused by non-conforming natural gas.
- Defend catastrophic personal injury claim at railroad yard allegedly caused by natural gas explosion.
- Defend personal injury claims due to alleged carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Defend claims for autism allegedly caused by mercury emissions from power plant.
- Represent patent holder in claim for patent against pharmaceutical company and research institute regarding cure for Alzheimer’s.
- Represent patent holder in claim for patent infringement regarding motorcycle design.
- Represent international company in claim for trademark infringement on significantly famous trademark.
- Represent publicly traded company in defense of claims of trademark infringement by international company.
- Represent Fortune 300 National Bank in fraud claims associated with student loans and attendant counter and cross-claims.
- Represent general contractor in defense of alleged construction defects in federal courthouse.
- Represent publicly traded design and engineering company in defense of alleged malfeasance in connection with construction of expressway.
- Represent international client in connection with claims of theft of significant business opportunities.
- Represent corporation in minority shareholder derivative lawsuit focused on Directors usurping corporate opportunities
- Represent securities brokerage firm in alleged suitability claims by several investors
- Represent individually named securities broker in defense of breach of fiduciary duty and suitability claims
- Represent healthcare company in connection with alleged breaches of non-compete and non-solicitation covenants.
- Represent client in connection with product liability claims pertaining to heavy construction equipment.
- Represent client in defense of asbestosis claims.
- Represent maritime transport company in defense of vessel collision and oil spill claim.
- Represent maritime client in connection with significant property damage claim sustained while shifting vessel out of dry dock.
- Represent maritime clients in arrest and seizure of several cruise ships.
Published Work and Lectures
- Frequent lecturer at Florida Bar and American Bar Association functions
- The Avoidance and Management of Department of Business and Professional Regulation Investigations and Board of Medicine Disciplinary Actions – Hillsborough County Dental Research Clinic – February 2, 1994, Tampa, Florida
- Electronic Discovery in American Courts – Union Internationale des Avocats – March 3, 2010 – Park City, Utah
- Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Sydney’s School for Autism
- Outback Bowl Committee