John was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, from Florida State University in 1982 and his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the University of Florida in 1985. John has continuously been in private practice since 1985, and has been a shareholder or partner in each of his law firms, beginning in 1989. John served as Associate General Counsel to the New York Yankees from 1994 through 1996. He was formerly a State of Florida Licensed Athlete Agent and a general certified Major League Baseball Player Association agent. John is also proficient in Spanish and Italian.
John has an extensive business law practice including litigation, advice and counseling, contract drafting and negotiations, problem solving, and dispute resolution in business planning and organization, business tort, creditors’ rights, real estate and development, insurance, employment, sale of goods, and other business-related matters. He has served as claims administration counsel and retained counsel for one of the leading title insurance companies in the nation. John has also actively litigated other types of commercial cases, including administrative, environmental, lender liability, land use, franchise, landlord/tenant, unfair trade practice, and intellectual property disputes.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 1985
- Florida State University, B.S., 1982
- Jesuit High School, Tampa, Florida, 1979
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated
- Florida Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Florida, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Trial Lawyers; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; Construction Law Sections)
- Florida Bar Association, (Trial Lawyers Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section)
Notable Client Work
- Managed all public/private partnership, land acquisition, lease, finance, design/development/construction, operation, advertising and marketing contract negotiations and activated for Major League Baseball franchise’s new spring training facility.
- Served as professional trustee for the estate of deceased clients for over eleven years, including operating their construction company, administering their other assets, and addressing the need and entitlements of their children (the beneficiaries of their trusts).
- Served as claims administration counsel and retained counsel for a national title insurance company for approximately twenty years.
- Successfully negotiated and closed the sale of a local software development company to a national competitor.
- Successfully negotiated and closed the sale of a local medical practice to an expanding practice management group.
- Assisted developer client with the acquisition, development and construction of a new snow ski condominium project in Park City, Utah.
- Has assisted developer, contractor and subcontractor clients with construction projects throughout Florida and in Georgia, Mississippi, Honduras and Aruba.
- University Club of Tampa Board of Directors; President, 2017-2018
- Ybor City Development Corporation Board of Directors
- Center for Guardian Advocacy
- Sports Club of Tampa Bay