James Mooney is a litigation attorney with experience handling matters related to business litigation, intellectual property, employment, non-compete agreements, business dissolutions, bid contests, public records, receiverships and receiver matters, preliminary injunctions, estate and trust matters, trucking accident cases, contract disputes, securities litigation, fiduciary disputes, administrative hearings, and personal injury matters.
James was born and raised in Tampa, Florida and graduated from Tampa Jesuit High School. After completing a degree at Florida State University and double majoring in accounting and finance, James attended law school at University of Florida Levin College of Law. He graduated from law school in the top 10% of his class and his strong advocacy skills earned him the privilege of working as a Teaching Assistant in Trial Practice.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Extern, Offices of the United States Attorneys, Northern District of Florida, Tallahassee Division
- Senior Articles Editor – Journal of Technology Law and Policy
- Pro Bono Certificate of Outstanding Achievement
- Florida State University, B.S., Cum Laude, 2011
- Majors: Accounting and Finance
- Florida, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
Professional Memberships and Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Leadership Institute, 2018
- American Bar Association
Notable Client Work
- Obtained a summary judgment in favor of a convenience store operator, successfully defending the company against alleged violations of the Florida Civil Rights Act.
- Obtained a dismissal in favor of a convenience store operator, successfully defending the company against alleged workers’ compensation retaliation claim.
- Successfully defended estate planner’s license against the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation, which sought a permanent renovation.
- Represented a small business in enforcing a non-competition agreement after the seller of the small business began competing in the same industry.
- Recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars for victims of personal injury torts.