Ken Turkel is a third generation Tampa native, and a 1982 graduate of Jesuit High School. He spent his formative years in Tampa as a drummer in a cutting edge 80s new wave and rock band, and as a center on the Jesuit Tigers’ football team. As history tells the story, he was a good drummer, and a good offensive lineman, but great at neither. As Ken tells the story, he should be in both the NFL and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Nonetheless, he chose a more conventional path and survived (barely) 4 years in New Orleans at Tulane University where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Management from the Freeman School of Business, and more importantly, where he met his wife, Jennifer. After a year of rest and relaxation in New Orleans, he proceeded to Stetson University College of Law and learned that he was really good at arguing with people about virtually anything.
Ken received his J.D. in 1990, and served as an Assistant State Attorney in Florida’s Sixth Judicial Circuit until he joined Williams Schifino Mangione and Steady, PA, a mid-size Tampa firm, in late 1991, and practiced there for 19 years in the areas of complex business and business tort litigation, general civil litigation, and sports and entertainment law. In July 2010, Ken and his partner Steve Cohen joined up with their two friends, Pedro Bajo and Tony Cuva, with the mutual vision of building a strong Tampa based litigation and trial firm focused on servicing clients in the Tampa Bay area and throughout the great state of Florida.
Sports and Entertainment
Awards & Recognition
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America 2009 - 2011 - listed in commercial litigation
- Florida Super Lawyers 2009 - 2011
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite 2010
- Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Outstanding Young Lawyer Award 1999-2000
United States Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida - 1990
Northern and Southern Districts of Florida - 2002
Professional Memberships and Activities
The Florida Bar
Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors 1996 - 2000
- Code and Rules of Evidence Committee 1992 - 2002; Vice-Chairman 1998-2002
- Grievance Committee D - 1999-2002 (Chair - 2001)
American Bar Association
- President 2009-2010
- Board of Directors 2003-2009
- Young Lawyers Division
- Board of Directors 1996-1999
- President 1999-2000
- Young Lawyers Division National Conferences Chair 1996-1997
Education & Background
1990: J.D., Stetson University
1986: B.S.M, Tulane University
- Order of the Barristers
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award
- Member of Law Review (Notes Editor, 1990)
- Member Moot Court Board
- Member Mock Trial Team
Notable Client Work
Published Work and Lectures
- Defended large, privately held company and its executives in hostile work environment case in federal jury trial.
- Defended publicly held petroleum company in one of the first same sex harassment trials in Florida.
- Defended publicly held petroleum company in 2 week state court wrongful death trial arising from exploding gasoline dispenser.
- Represented former executive of a publicly held company in jury trial arising from breach of commission and bonus contract.
- Defended grocery co-operative in state court jury trial seeking damages for breach of membership contracts.
- Represented Plaintiff survivor in multi-Defendant wrongful death trial arising from medical negligence.
- Represented curator of estate of large privately owned dairy in claims against guardian, guardian’s counsel and estate counsel for negligence in failing to protect ward from undue influence.
- Represented publicly held health care company in government civil and criminal investigation involving Medicare fraud allegations.
- Represented numerous witnesses in parallel civil/criminal fraud investigations in areas of health care and securities law.
- Represented home building franchisee in week long trade secret and unfair competition trial.
- Represented publicly held food distributor in multi-defendant restrictive covenant and trade secret case.
- Represent multiple purchasers in ILSA and fraud claims arising out of potential condominium project marketed by a nationally renowned developer.
- Represent Olympic and professional athletes in endorsement and other contract matters.
Lectured and presented at the ABA and ABA YLD on topics such as Multi-Disciplinary practice, attorney professionalism and attorney peer-review.
Lectured at numerous Florida Bar and private seminars, on the following topics: Basic Evidence, Evidentiary Privileges, Trade Secrets, Restrictive Covenants, and Trial Advocacy.
Lectured at Hillsborough County Bar Association seminars in the areas of lawyer professionalism and civility, lawyer peer review, trial advocacy, civil procedure and discovery.